Sunday, February 15, 2009

Picture's and the visions that come to mind.

I came across a picture while sharing my RSS feeds links, tips on writing, for this blog. Naturally, inspiration just drooled from me as I viewed the picture, and I wanted to find out more about it’s history.

Before I get to that, I want to share with you how, and where I came across the picture. I viewed the picture at Creative Writing Corner Photo of the Week I agree with this statement, from the blog, “This beautiful photo is just dripping with mystery and intrigue.”

Also at Creative Writing Corner there is another article that I want to share with you that was written back on October 18, 2007
How to Write an Interior Monologue a really good article.

Creative Writing Corner got the picture from Flickr, a beautiful place filled with intrigue, and possibly haunted.

Tippecanoe Place mansion.

In 1889, Clement Studebaker completed construction of a 26,000-square-foot (2,400 m2) mansion in South Bend and named it "Tippecanoe Place" (probably in honor of William Henry Harrison). The mansion was eventually restored and turned into a restaurant.

I posted a link earlier from The Ghosts of South Bend and Mishawaka Indiana.

The South Bend and Mishawaka area are closely connected, with one main road serving as the divider between the two towns. Visitors to the area may not even be aware when they cross between the two cities because of this connection.
http://www.associatedcontent.comarticle/760939/the_ghosts_of_south_bend_and_mishawaka.html

As I look at the picture, I think of castles and houses built of stone, the way they were long ago. I have this vision of myself curled up in a cozy chair, by a warm fire, reading a good book, listening to the howling wind, as it rages outside. Feeling all safe and warm inside, until I hear a rapping, tapping on the door. I ponder who would dare venture out on a night like this. Sliding the curtain back, I gaze out to see nothing, but a tempest so strong there is nothing but the haziness of my own image glaring back at me.

Just a few thoughts that come to mind, as I think about the picture, and inspirational techniques fueled by Robert Olen Butler’s lectures, and his book “From Where You Dream.”

Ah, one shouldn’t forget Edgar Allen Poe’s “The Raven,” as you look at the picture.

The Raven

[First published in 1845]

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,

As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -

Only this, and nothing more.'

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this picture! It reminds me of my daughter's college. There is something so solitary about the mansion and splendorous. LOL.

    As for the Poem, now you know I gotta have a special place in my heart for that. I have a lovely Raven that sits high on the wall in my bedroom. When I get my blog figured out, I'm going to feature it.

    But such a lovely, dark poem to go with the theme of your blog post.

    Thanks for the touch of magic this morning.

    Raven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Raven,
    Glad you enjoyed it, the picture makes me think of dark stormy nights and a good old ghost story being told.LOL

    ReplyDelete

BOOKMARK

Bookmark and Share